September 09, 2007

Ithaca Stolen


This is one of my latest poems. I have been deeply pained by many events that are happening around me... Morning newspapers have news filled with negativity. I usually search hard to find the brighter side, but usually end up feeling frustrated. Television soaps have long episodes filled with grim situations. It's almost like happiness has been stolen from life, sapped out from the system. Here's my take on it.

Ithaca Stolen

An insolent mind finds surprises,
In occasional smiles, pleasant faces.
Pierces the heart, chortles of lads.
Guffaws at wretched tales.

Innocence colored, where ignorance once reigned.
Dimensions blurred injuries inflicted.
Meandering is the dark rebirth inside,
Eyes look away from the sunny side.

In, a dim flame flickers.
Eyebrows crease, pupil narrows
A harrowed life forgets fragments
Of my glorious Ithaca stolen.

An Eden of joy, of a life fruitful
Now an abyss of hazy routine, so futile.
Rising from a crestfallen psyché, eyelids strain
Wonder if the foolish reprisal had any gain?

Disowning present state, haggling with a truant mind,
To victory that never was, Ithaca- will I ever find?

________________________________________

I truly hope the situation improves for the world over. I hope everybody finds their stolen Ithaca.




3 comments:

Eli Carlos Vieira said...

"Always keep Ithaca in your mind.
To arrive there is your ultimate goal." (Constantin Cavafys - Ithaca)

Long time I don't pass here in your avenue.
I loved this words...
Sad, but it can make me close to a world that I don't know, that I am not in!

Good winds 4 u
:-]

Shobhit said...

superb poem..
let not thy mind digress from the good.. they are bad everywhere yet if thee concentrate on good thou need not see them..

as whenyou pick a rose you do not look at the thorns.. concentrate on good rose and pick it :) thorns be everywhere..

Unknown said...

"The heart cries out in delight,

Finally it has seen some respite,

From the depths of painful sorrow,

It has discovered the joys of words.

The world may have lost their Ithaca,

But thy have restored its lost glory."

You have written a splendid poem.

Bravo. I was hanging on to every word, each of it describing such a large variety of feelings.